Re: mech-v2: processing of non-ipv6 packets [Re: mech-v2-05pre]

> So, I think we just disagree about this and need to get more input.
> Let's consider three options:

>  1) something like the current text, disallowing non-IPv6 packets:

>   If the payload is not at least 40 bytes in length (i.e., the minimum
>   IPv6 packet), the packet MUST be silently discarded.  Likewise, if
>   the version encoded in the first 4 bits of the encapsulated packet
>   is not "6", the packet MUST be silently discarded.

>  (support from O.L.N.Rao and Radhakrishnan Suryanarayanan)

>  2) something like you proposed, leaving non-ipv6 unspecified:

>   If the version encoded in the first 4 bits of the encapsulated packet
>   is "6", and the payload is not at least 40 bytes in length (i.e., the
>   minimum IPv6 packet), the packet MUST be silently discarded.  Further
>   processing for packets with version other than "6" is out of scope.

>  (support from Fred Templin)

>  3) leave everything out, let the IPv6 code deal with this.

>  (support from Vlad Yasevich)

> What do others think?

I think option 3 makes most sense.  I can live with option 1, but it
seems just redundant as Vlad pointed out.  Option 2 seems odd to me
because proto-41 should be specific to IPv6 and there seems no
reasonable reason to mention other versions than 6 in this context.

BTW, doen't option 3 also make those who support option 2 happy?

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					jinmei@isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp