Re: mech-v2: processing of non-ipv6 packets [Re: mech-v2-05pre]

Hi,

(co-chair hat on)

OK, there seems to be multiple people supporting 1) and likewise for
3), but all of those could seem to be able to live with either of
these approaches.

As 3) is what we had in the document during WG last call, IETF LC, and
IESG evaluation, let's use (basically) that.

However, to fix the problem pointed out by 1) in a slightly better
way, I'd suggest wording like (changes in the first sentence only):

The encapsulating IPv4 header is discarded, *and the resulting packet
is checked for validity when submitted to the IPv6 layer*. When
reconstructing the IPv6 packet the length MUST be determined from the
IPv6 payload length since the IPv4 packet might be padded (thus have a
length which is larger than the IPv6 packet plus the IPv4 header being
removed).

or: *and the resulting packet is checked for validity by the IPv6
layer*.

(emphasis mine) -- this reminds that the v6 layer must validate the
packet, but leaves the the exact checks unspecified in this memo,
which was the main concern for those supporting 3).

If you have comments/objections to this, please state them
****off-list**** within a day or so.

(hat off)