RE: Comments on zeroconf draft

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Karen E. Nielsen (AH/TED) wrote:
> Normally last hops routers performs NUD so that they can send ICMPs
> back to origin to notify of black holes/unreachability.  Personally
> I am not sure that this is a MUST requirement on the Tunnel Servers.
> I have actually thought that we could avoid this, especially since
> we have no explicit goals as to the nodes being registered as
> reachable in the DNS using the Ipv6 address - wherefore we are first
> and foremost looking to support the situation where communication is
> initiated by the tunnel clients and not from the outside.

This seems short-sighted to me, because the actual *advantage* of IPv6
is realized only when *incoming* connectivity is enabled (if it was
just about outbound connectivity, v4 would work as well).  If this
would imply that the communication between two nodes inside the 3GPP
network or communication originating from IPv6 internet and coming to
a 3GPP node could just silently fail.. this would seem to be very
undesirable.