RE: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-aoun-v6ops-natpt-deprecate-00.txt

--- Elwyn Davies <elwynd@nortelnetworks.com> wrote:

> That NAT-PT may stifle innovation is not an assumption but a deduction.  As
> is pointed out in the draft, NAT-PT cannot support all of the current
> features of v6 (eg flow labels, MIPv6) and is unlikely to support any new
> features.  If the NAT-PT boxes operate autonomously (without something like
> STUN, midcom or nsis to help), then all applications may well have to decide
> to just use the subset of features supported by NAT-PT.  If they can detect
> that there is a NAT-PT box in the way then special case code may be needed
> for destinations accessed through the NAT-PT to limit the capabilities used.

[suresh] As Soohong and others pointed out, supporting all V6 features was not
the goal of NAT-PT. Making large no. of legacy apps work between V4 and V6
realms was the goal of NAT-PT. I..e, be a transition tool between v4 legacy and
V6. Large number of commonly used apps work as is, with no change. But, not all
of them. This has been a known limitation with NATs in general, NAT-PT
included.

> However if a proxy is used, all the special casing can be confined to the
> proxy - the original application should be able to work untramelled (i.e. as
> if working on a pure native v6 network when communicating with v6 addresses
> - v4 functionality is unchanged).  Hence I think the situation as regards
> extra code is exactly the reverse of what you say: applications operating
> with proxies can be unaware and unchanged; applications operating through
> NAT-PT may need special case coding.

[Suresh] If proxies are used in your enterprise  and your apps (TCP and UDP)
are all redone to work through proxies, you can be proxy happy. But, that is
not a universal case. There are several setups where there is no proxy support
and apps are not redone to be proxy-friendly (i.e.,apps  do not use proxy).
This is the scenario that NAT-PT addresses.

> The lack of compelling use cases for NAT-PT indicates that it isn't an
> essential mechanism. Apart from a very limited set of cases dual-stack +
> tunelling solves working across multiple realms.  We need to get the message
> out that NAT-PT is not a good thing and that there are other, better
> solutions.  That is the way to overcome resistance!

[suresh] You miles may vary on the transition mechanims you choose to go with.
NAT-PT is a transition mechanism that addresses real scenarios not addressed by
others. Denying the real scenarios or deprecating NAT-PT is not a smart move to
transition, IMHO.

> Regards,
> Elwyn

regards,