RE: REVIEW NEEDED: draft-ietf-v6ops-ent-analysis-00.txt

Brian,

What we can do is add discussion of dual stack up front and I can write that for sure.  I agree with your concern.

What I don't agree with is your belief of corner cases.  I am seeing these cases in the following DOD, FAA, Homeland Securitiy, Satcom IXs, Providers, CEA-to-Provider evolution, and 3G.  But it is not the business of the IETF to begin to define markets or trends we just come here and support what we believe are requirements.  We can provide balance here for the norm and the more aggressive early adopters moving to dominant IPv6.

> I don't have this problem with draft-ietf-v6ops-ent-scenarios-05.txt,
> which starts out with base scenario 1, widespread dual stack.

Understand.

> > Will continue to respond.  All these cases are real cases
>
> Not denying that they will all exist somewhere.

Good.

> > and you or I or the IETF cannot second guess or mandate any
> transition to the enterprise.
>
> No, but we can advise our customers on the simplest, cheapest
> solution.

I am different I "listen" to my customers business case and then give them input.  I see completely the need for dominant IPv6 view.

> >>Just go for a dual stack operating system and routing
> system, and keep
> >>calling your software suppliers until they upgrade to the
> new API. Why
> >>make it harder than it needs to be?\
> >

> > This ia really naïve view
>
> Yes. I think most enterprises would prefer it that way.

Those who don't are as important as those who do prefer different.

> > ...it don't work that way at all and your assumption is one
> as casual
>  > and many are looking at ways to reduce cost and thus the
> 13 scenarios.
>
> It's not only that. Enterprises are not going to voluntarily
> add IPv6 support if they perceive it as adding great
> operational complexity, which is an ongoing cost. They will
> simply wait until it becomes simple.

We simply do not agree.

> >>In fact, sections 4 and 7 are written in this spirit - they refer
> >>essentially to what I have shown above as secnario 0.
> >

> > Not really reread the vlan discussion.
>
> As far as I can see, that only splits the routing. As far as
> hosts, DNS and middleware is concerned it's still a dual stack model.

For the apps I agree.  I think you and a very few are trying to KILL the IPv6 Dominant model and we as authors are standing on our position.  I am willing to make it clear why the different models exist but not kill the IPv6 dominant scenarios if my co-authors agree.

> >>I just don't get what are the drivers for the other
> >>13 scenarios.
> >

> > I can tell but they are all in ent scenarios doc.
>
> True, I think my problem here is what I have said at the
> beginning of this message.

Yes and I think we can fix that and from that view your 100% correct.

> >>3) My third main concern is that the draft doesn't discuss the
> >>deployment of DMZs, which are a feature of all major enterprise
> >>networks.
> >

> > Nor should we and we do not intend to.
>
> Well, I think then that we have to add it to
> draft-vandevelde-v6ops-nap-00.txt, because it is one of the
> first things enterprise network security managers will ask about.

Good I just saw that and what we can do is reference that work ok?

> >>broker [TBRK]  >  for an enterprise deployment.  The
> enterprise has a
> >>requirement for  >  long-term, stable IPv6 connectivity.
> 6to4 and the
> >>tunnel broker  >  are more appropriate for SOHO or single node
> >>environments.
> >>
> >>Sorry, but that's wrong. First of all, single-node 6to4
> isn't an IETF
> >>solution - it has never been documented - so it's not
> accurate to cite
> >>the RFC. Secondly, 6to4 as described in RFC
> >>3056 will work just fine for an enterprise - until the day
> its own ISP
> >>provides native connectivity, of course. I'd say a SOHO
> user has less
> >>chance of setting up RFC 3056 correctly than a large enterprise.
> >

> > Uh OH but good there will be strong disagreement.  I am just editor.
> >
> > I see both views.  Both are required.
>
> As a matter of fact I agree with the recommendation; I just
> want to avoid mischaracterization of 6to4. Of course, if you
> simply can't find an ISP to support you properly, a tunnel broker or
> 6to4 would always be possible.

Again completely agree.

> That's it for now.
>
>      Brian