Re: draft-nielsen-v6ops-3GPP-zeroconf-goals-00.txt

Hi,
The reasons an operator may make use of IP address to account mapping
at a service is to:
- provide automatic sign-on to a service (-it would be annoying to
have to insert username/password on a handset everytime you use WAP or MMS)
- determine from the IP address something about the users settings (-
for example, have they requested Location Based Services to be turned
off)
- event based PUSH (-for example, a messaging server looks up user
account, obtains IP address and pushes email to terminal)

If we cannot assume any significance about the IPv6 address then these
functions must be achieved at a different layer. At the moment in
IPv4, there exists a consistent way of determining User ID from IP
address.

Sure, these solutions only exist in the operator networks (and
directly connected 3rd Party) but this is still important. The IP
address has a lot of significance within the internal network of the
operator. And I mean just the Gi network, forget all the others. With
regard transition methods, these play a significant part in the large
international operator's network, when you consider these are actually
a number of disjoint national operators' access-networks trying to
access common services.

It would be neat to continue the identity in the v6 domain. The
solution would just need to be deterministic. I purposely didn't want
to look at the solutions, and stick to goals, but we may think about:
1) a second IPv6 RADIUS/DHCP server for DHCP to tunnels which is
interrogated in the IPv6 domain (is this against the zero config goals?); or
2) use a PREFIX function (c.f. NAT-PT 96bit PREFIX) where IPv4 address
at source (and in the RADIUS DB) can be determined from the incoming
IPv6 address (perhaps security/fraud issues?)

Again, if this is not going to feature in this draft, can we state this.

Note on standards - I cannot see the 3GPP standardising the Gi in
anyway. However barring IMS this is where all the IP Services reside.
So IMHO I think the standards will not have all the answers, and
looking at what happens in practice is beneficial. But Is the
motivation for this draft IMS alone? I interpret "3GPP" to
mean this draft is applicable to mobile operator services generally,
not IMS alone.

Thanks & Regards,