RE: NAT-PT: To deprecate or not to deprecate: the question for next w eek's v6ops discussion

FWIW: like it or not we need a function that deals with IPv6-only devices
talking to IPv4-only legacy devices. That is the useful function of NAT-PT
and it works as well as IPv4-IPv4 nat as long as it is parked as close to
the IPv4-only device as possible. The DNS-ALG shouldn't be there because it
decreases the overall network value by confusing the IPv6 device. As such
the deprecate NAT-PT / NAT-PTbis effort needs to simply focus on removing
the DNS cruft.

Legislating how people run their networks is not the job of the IETF.
Documenting how to get their job done efficiently is something the IETF can
and should do as creator of the tool set. The most we can do is document the
failings of nat as a technology, and refuse to standardize on an IPv6-IPv6
version. To some degree the NAP document is specifically trying to make the
case that mangling headers is not required once IPv4 is out of the
environment, and that all of the 'other marketed uses' of the technology are
possible using IPv6. If there are missing uses, or clearer language that
will make the case, please send text.

Tony