Re: Comments on draft-tschofenig-v6ops-secure-tunnels-03.txt

OK.. good.
But see my subsequent email on the link local/multicast story... i was totally wrong in this one!

Elwyn
At 17:57 19/01/2005, Mohan Parthasarathy wrote:
 Elwyn,

Thanks for your comments..

> This seems a useful guide to using v6 in v4 tunnels in conjunction with IPsec.
>
> I have a few comments (but not much in the way of contributions to the open
> issues):
> S3.2: Last para: A bit more explanation of the alternative solution would help.

Ok.

> S3.2: Some mention of potential scalability issues here - if i understand
> correctly a tunnel and SA per host in the site is needed.

Yes, we can mention that in the next revision.

> S5.1 (and elsewhere): The acronyms IDc1 and IDcr may need expansion

Ok.

> S5 (all sections): My understanding (which may be wrong) is that SAs carry
> either unicast or multicast traffic... some of the SAs defined in the SPD
> seem to be intended to carry both unicast neighbor discovery/SAAC and the
> associated MLD Join messages.  If this is true separate SAs will be needed

Yes. But the intention is to have fewer SPD entries and protect most of the
link-local traffic. Otherwise, you need to have more SPD entries to
protect the different types of link-local traffic between the two end points.

> but they can be more tightly defined  ... the unicast ones are link local
> to link local and the multicast ones have a restricted set of multicast
> groups (All Nodes, All Routers, DHCP groups and Solicited Node groups).
>
> S5: Where the SPD rule applies to a prefix, it might be clearer to use a
> different operator (like ~) to indicate prefix matching rather than
> equality (=).

Okay.

> S5:the packet format piece at the end of the section probably deservces a
> separate section.

Okay.

> I have also made a number of editorial suggestions directly to the document
> editor.

Thanks
mohan