Re: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-vandevelde-v6ops-nap-01.txt]

Hello everybody,

I read the draft in question an I found it rather good already. I think
it really does hit a spot. I had some mostly minor comments that I think
are more a matter of taste than substantial.  However, I would like to
raise them for discussion:

General comment: I think the audience of the paper are people who are
already true believers of IPv6 and then people that are just trying to
find the functionality that they need, or think they need from NATs. I
think neither of these people groups actually need any health warnings
on NATs themselves or are even interested in the problems of NATs.
Discussion about these issues just distract people. I would propose to
remove most of the problems of NAT and put them in an annex if they are
not absolutely necessary in the text. I don't think the idea of the
paper is to say NATs are bad, but to inform how the things can be done
in IPv6 without NATs and even better!

Some comments about the text itself:

The title of 2.1 ("Simple Gateway..."). Maybe a different name would be
better than "Simple Gateway". Maybe virtually zeroconfig gateway, or
easy to configure, etc. NAT is maybe actually not that simple, but
deploying it is simple for the user.

2.2. Simple security, if the issues of NATs have to be listed in the
body of the document, maybe it is also worth while then mentioning that
private addressing does not actually always mean that the network would
be that private. For instance, my provider has this bizarre
configuration where there is NAT in the network but there is one-to-one
mapping between the private address and the public address. So, it
doesn't save any addresses, protect you at all, etc. In addition, if you
have an operator provided NAT (for a reason or another) there still
might be attackers within the private address space.

Continuing in 2.2
" In some cases, NAT operators (including domestic users) may be
   obliged to configure quite complex port mapping rules to allow
   external access to local applications such as a multi-player game or
   web servers.  In this case the NAT actually adds management
   complexity compared to a simple router.  In situations where 2 or
   more devices need to host the same application this complexity shifts
   from difficult to impossible."

This does not raise the issue that complex configuration may turn into
security threats. If that wasn't even the idea, I don't think this is a
security issue and shouldn't be here in the first place. It kind of
sounds like you have remembered another bad thing about NAT, and just
add it where you were typing at that time... ;)

Section 2.3, I have often heard that NATs are good, because they give
you control on what can be done through your network. So, if you don't
want people to surf on certain sites, you just add NATs and that's it.
Maybe the "operator/provider/administrator control" should be added as a
perceived benefit.

Section 4.1, there is discussion about DHCP-PD and how simple it is and
you don't have to run any routing protocol. I think this is fine, but
does not quite answer the whole question. It might be good to add some
words about when your home or whatever gateway can get a prefix of its
own, it does not _have to_ give private addresses, but it can give real
public addresses. This is in practice not possible in IPv4. So
basically, you don't need private addresses.

So, these were my comments - for now...

Cheers,

Jonne.

--