Re: draft-vandevelde-v6ops-nap-01.txt - "maybe add a bit more on proxy servers ..."

On Mar 18, 2005, at 2:25 AM, Mark Smith wrote:
Tony Hain pointed this out a while back on the IPv6 mailing list. For example, (and I've explored this a bit more at http://www.circleid.com/article.php?id=805_0_1_0_C/ ), assuming the ability to sweep ping 100 IPv6 addresses per second on a /64, and assuming a hit within the first 50%, it would take 2 924 712 086.77 years to find a single host. Of course, the odds go up with more hosts, however, the time to sweep ping would still be impractical.

I don't know why people bring that fact up. It is true, but the fact that it is true means the problem will be solved another way. I'll bet it is done by letter-bombs.