Re: draft-ietf-v6ops-nap-00.txt & NAT security [2.2]

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Mark Smith wrote:

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 22:22:58 -0700
"Christian Huitema" <huitema@windows.microsoft.com> wrote:

For example, as I mentioned, modern OSes have firewalling out of the
box. From what I'm aware of, the only component missing, at least in
the
commercial space i.e., products you can buy, for scalable host based
firewalling is mechanisms to deploy the (corporate) firewalling policy
to the host.

Actually, the firewall in Windows XP/SP2 "professional" can be controlled by "group policy", automatically applying the firewall policy defined by the (windows) domain administrator.

That's interesting, I wasn't aware of that. With MS's market share, I suppose that that means that end-node firewall policy deployment is already "mainstream".

I agree, but capabilities of Windows XP+SP2 firewall are rather limited. You can control only incoming traffics and there is no stateful capabilities, that helps you a lot.

Regards,

Janos Mohacsi
Network Engineer, Research Associate
NIIF/HUNGARNET, HUNGARY
Key 00F9AF98: 8645 1312 D249 471B DBAE  21A2 9F52 0D1F 00F9 AF98