RE: Security considerations of the ICMPv6 draft

Hi, Fernando,

Looking back at the ICMPv6 draft, in the light of this, there are a number
of sanity checks that could be performed on returning error messages to
minimise security risks.

For example:
In draft-gont-tcpm-icmp-attacks-03.txt, the 'port unreachable' error is
cited as possibly being classified as a 'hard error' and provoking a reset.
This error message should only be generated by the destination node (not an
intermediate node) so a check could be added to ensure that the ICMPv6
source was equal to the original packet destination, thus requiring address
spoofing (which you suggest is otherwise not necessary because of the rules
in 2.2).  This would slightly cramp the style of would be hackers.

Likewise, getting a spurious 'fragment reassembly time execeeded' message
for a packet which wasn't fragmented in the first place.

And a number of others.

There is also a significant chance that ICMPv6 packets related to TCP coming
from outside a firewall would be junked by the firewall, especially if they
weren't from the destination address (but usually anyway).

Some of this is discussed in the IPv6 Security Overview draft:
draft-savola-v6ops-security-overview-03.txt

It's very late in the day to modify the ICMPv6 draft but we could put some
extra stuff into the security overview as recommendations (I am currently
editing this and could add some thoughts on this stuff).

What is the community view?
- Add some comments and additional sanity checks to the ICMPv6 spec, or
- Update the security overview, or
- Combination, or
- Neither?

Regards,