Re: draft-ietf-v6ops-nap-00.txt & NAT security [2.2]

Hi Jim,

Fully agree. This is what we are doing in the distributed security work
(some I-Ds being updated now). We call it instead of security manager
"security policy manager". The function is to provide a policy for the nodes
in the network, either a default one or a case by case one, or mixture of
both, and act as the master lock, in case anything is broken.

Regards,
Jordi

> De: "Bound, Jim" <jim.bound@hp.com>
> Responder a: <owner-v6ops@ops.ietf.org>
> Fecha: Wed, 25 May 2005 16:33:50 -0400
> Para: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>, "Gunter Van de Velde (gvandeve)"
> <gvandeve@cisco.com>
> CC: "John Spence, CCSI, CCNA, CISSP" <jspence@native6.com>,
> <v6ops@ops.ietf.org>, Mark Smith
> <ipng@69706e6720323030352d30312d31340a.nosense.org>
> Asunto: RE: draft-ietf-v6ops-nap-00.txt & NAT security [2.2]
>
> Just as note I agree with Fred but with one caveat, that is again just
> my opinion and not clear it is relative but will share it.  I believe
> end-to-end security will be the norm in the future and believe it to be
> a requirement for true end-to-end trust model. But, I do believe the
> network must remain secure too.  I envision the Firewall to become a
> Security Manager and a set of nodes being routers and servers at the
> network edge that will be able to watch the network for attack and know
> what is legal end-to-end secure traffic and when an attack happens.
> When the attack is obvious end-to-end is shut down and the Security
> Manager becomes similar to traditional firewall. I am not the only one
> with this view though and it is being discussed and prototypes will
> happen to analyze this thought further in both the public and private
> sectors.
>
> NAP is a useful spec but lets not make it the holy grail here and keep
> it simple folks and not over indulge in trying to predict or tell the
> market what to do, because that is not our IETF job IMO.
>
> thanks
> /jim

Barcelona 2005 Global IPv6 Summit
Registration open. Information available at:
http://www.ipv6-es.com