Re: WG Last Call draft-ietf-v6ops*secur*overview*

>> That's the thing. I can't get "Linux" itself to default to ::1, because
>> I'm forced to specify a full IPv6 address, and being a lazy human _I'll_
>> pick ::1 by default for the interface ID. It seems that Linux itself
>> doesn't have a default value at all, and it is not possible to make
>> Linux pick one. If you've seen that "default" I think it is probably in
>> the scripts to setup a 6to4 tunnel, and they are distribution dependent.
>> I realise the difference is somewhat pedantic, however, I'd take a
>> statement that "Linux defaults to ::1" to mean that all distributions
>> based on the Linux kernel would default to ::1, and that may not be the
>> case, or if it is today, may not be in the future.
>>
> Would anybody else with deep knowledge of the Linux IPv6 implementation
> care to comment.  Mark's other posting indicates that it the default in
> Linux has been removed and the text should be altered to reflect the
> current situation.  Could a BSD expert also confirm whether the comment
> is still true for BSD please?

FreeBSD (at least in 5.4 Release) seems to have the default IF ID of
"...::1".  It is set via a bootstrap script, so one may think "the
default" is not an appropriate description (I personally don't have a
particular opinion).

BTW: BSD has many variants, and just saying "BSD" may be confusing.
And, in fact, from a quick glance NetBSD or OpenBSD does not seem to
have even a configuration knob for setting a 6to4 interface, and
therefore they don't have the "default" IFID in any sense.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					jinmei@isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp