Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-v6ops-nap-01.txt

On Jun 27, 2005, at 9:52 AM, Mark Smith wrote:
It looks like a /128 prefix length is not permitted on an interface, according to draft-ietf-ipv6-addr-arch-v4-04.txt, which I think means most of the issues I was concerned about described disappear.

For the record, a /32 is now permitted on an interface in IPv4. This permits allocation of such to a loopback interface, for example. It may be worthwhile to find the use cases for that and ask whether they apply to IPv6.

I'm still not sure exactly how host routing would work from the end-nodes point of view, so I'll continue to do some reading. It seems to me that hiding the network or subnet topology by not grouping IPv6 addresses according to their common data links means that the subnet bit portion of the address loses its significance when determining whether a destination address is off or onlink, during Neighbour Discovery.

More generally, when addresses cannot be summarized, summarization functions break down. Your friendly neighborhood ISP will have issues with this.