Re: Review: draft-ietf-v6ops-nap-01.txt

Eric Klein wrote:

Elwyn Davies wrote

In terms of NAT-PT, I think it would be appropriate to add a section
saying why it would be dangerous to constrain future developments of
IPv6 networks by eliminating NATs and then adding back the general form
of NAT-PT just to do transitions.  If it is agreed that this is wanted,
I am prepared to draft a suitable piece of text.

I am not exactly sure, but it sounds like what you are proposing is exactly opposite of the goal of this draft. Effectively this draft is saying that NATs should not exist in an IPv6 network and should not be supported as the features and functions that NAT used to provide are now inherent in the IPv6 architecture.

In which case (IMHO) NAT-PT is strictly for transition from IPv4 only to
IPv4 and IPv6 networks and once the network moves to fully IPv6 there is no
need for NAT or NAT-PT.

Eric

It's been a long day of reviewing...

Read what I wrote by inserting brackets around (eliminating NATS and then adding back the general form of NAT-PT just to do transitions):

In terms of NAT-PT, I think it would be appropriate to add a section saying why it would be dangerous to constrain future developments of IPv6 networks by (eliminating NATs and then adding back the general form of NAT-PT just to do transitions). If it is agreed that this is wanted, I am prepared to draft a suitable piece of text.

What I thought I was saying is that we should avoid putting
1) any sort of NAT, and
2) any NAT-PT in its general form (the one that is being made experimental)
into an IPv6 network

There may be (almost certainly is) limited scope for a simplfied translator as a front end for legacy servers, but using NAT-PT as a way to transmit arbitrary protocols between a generic IPv6 network and a generic IPv4 network effectievly condemns IPv6 applications to living with the set of capabilities that IPv4 has. This is NOT a good idea. So I dont think I am trying to say anything other than the draft is a good thing and better if we avoid fully general NAT-PT as well.

Regards,
Elwyn