Re: I-D ACTION:draft-baker-v6ops-end2end-00.txt

Hi.

The intention of this draft is excellent - using a single scheme for connecting across IPv4 clouds is clearly essential to achieve e2e interoperability in the world encapsulated in the diagrams. The question that comes to my mind is just how much does this represent a time that has already gone by?

The scenarios do not include situations where the IPv4 cloud is a convenient substrate to build a tunnel between an IPv6 enabled stub and 'the' IPv6 transit backbone (which will be used until such time as native IPv6 connectivity arrives at the stub's attachment point(s)).

There are already global IPv6 transit providers, and sitting here in front of my home system, my ISP provides me with an IPv6 prefix and capability to use an IPv6-in-IPv4 tunnel to an endpoint in their network which then connects me onto the IPv6 backbone.

Hence before expending a lot of effort on determining (and 'marketing') whatever might be the 'best' solution in the pure IPv4 core case I believe we should get some idea of the relative importance of the pure IPv4 core case as compared with IPv4 providing a tunnel substrate for connecting to the IPv6 transit backbone.

Be that as it may, I suspect I may be lucky in having an 'enlightened' ISP and it might be necesssary for less lucky users to connect to a gateway onto the IPv6 backbone in some other domain than their own ISP's. In this case the thoughts in the draft probably apply to the connection between the "own ISP's" domain and the domain with the IPv6 backbone gateway.

Regards,
Elwyn