From: Templin, Fred L
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 2:55 PM
To: v6ops@ops.ietf.org
Subject: New draft: "Link Adaptation for IPv6-in-IPv4 Tunnels"

A new draft of possible interest to v6ops is available
that anticipates MTU-related performance issues for
tunnels and proposes a solution. Document location
and abstract appear below. Comments?

Fred
fred.l.templin@boeing.com

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-templin-linkadapt-00.txt

Abstract
   IPv6-in-IPv4 tunneling mechanisms support the minimum IPv6 MTU of
   1280 bytes via static prearrangements at the tunnel encapsulator
   and/or dynamic MTU determination based on ICMPv4 messages, but these
   methods have known operational limitations.  This document proposes a
   new MTU determination mechanism for IPv6-in-IPv4 tunnels that uses a
   link adaptation scheme with simplified IPv4 segmentation/reassembly
   and dynamic segment size probing.