RE: "Link Adaptation for IPv6-in-IPv4 Tunnels" as WG item?

Fred,

Thank you for the feedback. It looks like you have identified
an issue regarding the proposed use of fragment offset bits.
The intention is not to re-write IPv4 fragmentation/reassembly
but rather to aviod it and perform link adaptation (i.e.,
segmentation/reassembly) at a "layer 2.5" that sits above
IPv4 but below IPv6. So, instead of (re)using the IPv4 header
bits as currently specified, a small (8 bytes or less) L2.5
header that sits above the IPv4 header could be defined with:

  - a segment ID field (i.e., instead of using the
    fragment offset bits as in the current draft)
  - a "more fragments" bit
  - flow identifier fields
  - a next header field
  - etc.

About packet reordering, there are some words about that
throughout the document and also in the 4th paragraph of
Appendix A. But, along with the new L2.5 header described
above, the document could be re-worded to say that the IPv4
Identification field carries an ID used to protect against
packet splicing errors due to reordering. (Idea is to have
all L2.5 segments of the same L3 packet encode the same ID
value in the Identification field of the IPv4 header.)

About the checksum, it is encoded as a trailing 4-byte field
immediately following the upper layer payload, i.e., it occurs
as the final 4 bytes of the final segment in multi-segment
datagrams rather than in a header field of some sort.

Fred
fred.l.templin@boeing.com