RE: Requirements for IP-in-IP Tunnel MTU Assurance

Fred,

Yes, I know about Matt Mathis' work on Packetization Layer Path
MTU Discovery (PLPMTUD) but that work covers packetization layers
above layer 3 and is independent of the requirement to provide an
assured MTU below layer 3 for IP/IP tunnels.

To your question, the requirement is for an assured MTU for IP/IP
tunnels, i.e., when the tunnel MTU is X bytes then upper layer
protocols can be assured that packets no larger than X will
traverse the tunnel under normal circumstances or a layer 3
"packet too big" message will be returned that informs upper
layers of a smaller MTU. For tunnels over IPv4, if no other
mechanism were provided then the only assured MTU that could
be offered would be 68 bytes since RFC 791 specifies that as
the minimum link MTU for IPv4. But, IPv6 needs to see an assured
MTU of 1280 bytes so some form of MTU assurance for tunnels
is needed.

Fred
fred.l.templin@boeing.com