Re: draft-chown-v6ops-port-scanning-implications-02

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, Tim Chown wrote:
This draft has been resurrected since it is cited by Elwyn in two other (WG)
drafts.   It would be useful to have a slot in Vancouver to discuss whether
it should be progressed or the key point absorbed into both of the drafts
currently citing it.

I also believe this is a very useful work item.

However, as it has been around for a long time, I believe that if we take it up, we'll need to make quick progress.

	Title		: IPv6 Implications for TCP/UDP Port Scanning
	Author(s)	: T. Chown
	Filename	: draft-chown-v6ops-port-scanning-implications-02.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 2005-10-27

The 128 bits of IPv6 address space is considerably bigger than the 32
   bits of address space in IPv4.  In particular, the IPv6 subnets to
   which hosts attach will by default have 64 bits of host address
   space.  As a result, traditional methods of remote TCP or UDP port
   scanning to discover open or running services on a host will
   potentially become far less computationally feasible, due to the
   larger search space in the subnet.  This document discusses that
   property of IPv6 subnets, and describes related issues for site
   administrators of IPv6 networks to consider, which may be of
   importance when planning site address allocation and management
   strategies.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chown-v6ops-port-scanning-implications-02.txt