Re: WGLC draft-ietf-v6ops-icmpv6-filtering-recs-00.txt

Le Mercredi 26 Avril 2006 21:58, vous avez écrit :
> Per the WG decision in the meeting last month, I am opening a working
> group last call on the filtering document
>
>    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-icmpv6-
> filtering-recs-00.txt
>    "Best Current Practice for Filtering ICMPv6 Messages in Firewalls"

A few minor notes:

1/ The specification does not seem to consider what should be made with
filtered packets, and seems to assume they will be dropped. In some
case (such as the _currently_ undefined ICMP codes), it might be nicer,
so long as the local policy permits, to cause the firewall to craft an
Administratively prohibited error or something like that (à
la “ip6tables -j REJECT”), maybe... though I guess some kind of rate
limiting would obviously be required in that case.

2/ When I see sample rules like these:
“
   # Deny icmps to/from link local addresses
   ip6tables -A icmpv6-filter -p icmpv6 -d fe80::/10 -j DROP
   ip6tables -A icmpv6-filter -p icmpv6 -s fe80::/10 -j DROP
”... I'm becoming worried that the forwarding/routing software from
Linux IPv6 stack actually let this packets through by default
(particularly the first rule). I'm pretty sure the first one is
redumdant, and I hope the second one is also. That's not to say
firewall admin should not use them for the sake of verbosity and/or
quietness of mind, but it might be worth adding a comment that these
are already sort of built-in.

By the way, if anyone can confirm that these rules are actually
redumdant...

3/ I believe filter Echo requests is fairly lame, and I did complain
that Teredo needs it to work at all. Now Teredo is mentioned and Echo
requests were promoted from "Should not be blocked" to "Must not be
blocked" :) Some other yet-to-be-defined protocols/schemes might also
rely on incoming Echo requests to not be firewalled, and I surely hope
not so many company and SOHO firewalls will block IPv6 echo requests,
as IPv4 echo requests.... but as far as Teredo is concerned, only Echo
requests coming from the Teredo prefix (2001:0::/32) needs to be passed
(and of course Echo replies, only the other way).

Regards,

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.simphalempin.com/home/