editorial comments on draft-ietf-v6ops-nap-06

gentlemen--

My attention was recently drawn to [draft-ietf-v6ops-nap-06], and I have found what I think are some easily corrected editorial problems, which I hope you will consider making when the AUTH48 event happens.

The document is Informational, not Best Current Practice, so I'm concerned about the possibility that excerpts which appear to make recommendations for implementers could be quoted out of context inappropriately. I scanned the text for the word "should" and came up with a few places where that seems to be an easily corrected error.

In section 4.1: "A basic IPv6 router should have a default configuration to advertise inside the site a locally generated random ULA prefix, independently from the state of any external connectivity." Also: "With external connectivity the simple gateway should use DHCP-PD to acquire a routing prefix from the service provider for use when connecting to the global Internet." Recommend replacing "should" with "may" in both cases here.

In section 4.2: "To implement simple security for IPv6 in, for example a DSL or Cable Modem connected home network, the broadband gateway/router should be equipped with stateful firewall capabilities. These should provide a default configuration where incoming traffic is limited [...]." Also, "There should also be an easy interface which allows users to create inbound 'pinholes' [...]." Recommend replacing "should" with "may" in all three of these cases.

Also in section 4.2: "Administrators and the designers of configuration interfaces for simple IPv6 firewalls need to provide a means of documenting the security caveats [...]" Recommend inserting "may" before the word "need" in this sentence.

In section 4.4: "In any case the approach should be limited to uses with substantially fewer than the maximum number of routes that the IGP can support [...]" and "Hosts should also listen to the IGP for duplicate use [...]" Recommend replacing "should" with "may" here.

Thank you for your time and attention.

--
james woodyatt <jhw@apple.com>
member of technical staff