Re: IPv6-PMP?

Le mercredi 11 avril 2007 20:21, james woodyatt a écrit :
> > And then, IPv6 is completely useless, since it has the exact same
> > connectivity problems as IPv4+NAT: outbound TCP works; UDP works
> > through hole punching if you know the peer address/port. Inbound
> > TCP does not work (so COMEDIA SIP does not), unsolicited UDP does
> > not work.  So IPv6 becomes pretty useless, while it remains very
> > costly an upgrade.
>
> Unless we do something.  I'm proposing that we consider extending
> ICMP to support automatically opening pinholes in the default
> gateway's stateful packet filter.  Does anybody have any alternative
> to consider?

I guess everybody agrees that stateful firewalling won't go away with
IPv6, whether one likes it or not (I'm obviously not a big fan of
them). That kills the "no firewall so no problem" alternative. Then,
the only alternatives are the big broken heavyweight solution (à la
UPnP) ;) I definitely prefer the lightweight one that actually works.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/