Re: The argument for writing a general purpose NAT for IPv6

On Apr 18, 2007, at 15:35, Gert Doering wrote:

I share the sentiment that "unmanaged networks and stateful firewalls" is a problematic scenario, but it seems that this is what we *have* (due to not-so-well informed decision processes).

I don't think I would agree with this characterization of how we have arrived at the present situation. As the authors of draft-ietf-nap have noted, the situation is the result of the most informed community of Internet experts in the world, the IETF, recognizing its own technical consensus about the need for stateful firewalls in residential gateways.

If anything, I would have to accept my share of personal responsibility for my involvement in allowing Apple to ship the first release of firmware for the AirPort Extreme base station *without* the stateful firewall protecting its unmanaged local network. This was clearly an uninformed decision, and Apple was roundly disparaged in the technical press for it-- presumably by well-informed critics. This mistake might have been avoided if I had seen draft-ietf-nap sooner than I did.

--
j h woodyatt <jhw@apple.com>