Re: BCP for multisite multihoming

On 21-mei-2007, at 21:04, Kevin Day wrote:

1) A company has four branch offices(POPs) around the world, New York, London, Tokyo and Sydney. 2) This company requires IP addresses for internal use, customer use, etc. 3) Each POP must be multihomed, with connections to two or more transit providers.
4) Multihoming must support load balancing in both directions.
5) Each POP has a unique set of transit providers, there isn't one transit provider that has service at all locations.
6) Transit providers come and go, PA space isn't acceptable.
7) There is no connectivity between each POP at all, everything between nodes goes over the internet.

In IPv4 land, this company can obtain an /18, and announce a /20 from each POP. Problem solved, all requirements are met.

You keep talking about /32s but what you need here is 4 independent / 48s.

However, what the internet at large needs is routing tables that don't grow too large too fast. That means only a few tenthousands of organizations can do what you want to do before we run into trouble.

So obviously if I were you I'd get the /48s, and if I were me I'd whine about the IPv6 routing table size. :-)

Iljitsch