Submission of draft-ietf-v6ops-802-16-deployment-scenarios-04 for publications as Informational

   (1.a)  Who is the Document Shepherd for this document?  Has the
          Document Shepherd personally reviewed this version of the
          document and, in particular, does he or she believe this
          version is ready for forwarding to the IESG for publication?

I am the shepherd for this document. I have read this version, and believe that it is ready for publication as an RFC.

   (1.b)  Has the document had adequate review both from key WG members
          and from key non-WG members?  Does the Document Shepherd have
          any concerns about the depth or breadth of the reviews that
          have been performed?

I believe that it has had adequate review. It was originally posted in March 2006 and discussed in that meeting of the working group, and resubmitted as a working group document in May of that year. It was proposed as an extension of the v6ops broadband work, specifically addressing 802.16/Wimax networks. There were various issues raised and dealt with during subsequent revisions. Comment on the mailing list came from Jonne Soininen, Brian Carpenter, Eric Klein, Bruno Miguel Sousa (speaking for the 16NG working group in a solicited review), Jim Bound, and JinHyeock Choi. A review was also solicited from mip6; I believe that the response was directly to the authors, as I have no copy of it. The document was last-called in January 2007 and sent to the Area Director, David Kessens, in February, who responded asking whether we had received any comments to the effect that the document was needed. In a re-last-call in April, undertaken to solicit additional review and address the AD's concern, the comments both in the meeting and on the list were supportive, and specifically Jim Bound stated that he considered the draft to be helpful in 802.16 deployment.

   (1.c)  Does the Document Shepherd have concerns that the document
          needs more review from a particular or broader perspective,
          e.g., security, operational complexity, someone familiar with
          AAA, internationalization, or XML?

Given that review has already occurred in v6ops, mip6, and 16ng, I don't see a need for further review.

   (1.d)  Does the Document Shepherd have any specific concerns or
          issues with this document that the Responsible Area Director
          and/or the IESG should be aware of?  For example, perhaps he
or she is uncomfortable with certain parts of the document, or
          has concerns whether there really is a need for it.  In any
          event, if the WG has discussed those issues and has indicated
          that it still wishes to advance the document, detail those
          concerns here.

If such concerns exist, they have not been raised to me.

          Has an IPR disclosure related to this document
          been filed?  If so, please include a reference to the
          disclosure and summarize the WG discussion and conclusion on
          this issue.

No IPR disclosure was discussed in the working group. I looked at https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/ipr_search.cgi a moment ago, which reported:
Internal Server Error

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@ietf.org and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

   (1.e)  How solid is the WG consensus behind this document?  Does it
          represent the strong concurrence of a few individuals, with
          others being silent, or does the WG as a whole understand and
          agree with it?

IPv6 Operations tends to be a group in which projects are done by small groups with relevant expertise and reviewed by others. The sense I have had in meetings and on the list has been that there is general support. That said, the primary cognitive input has come from the authors and a few others, listed above.

(1.f) Has anyone threatened an appeal or otherwise indicated extreme
          discontent?  If so, please summarize the areas of conflict in
separate email messages to the Responsible Area Director. (It
          should be in a separate email because this questionnaire is
          entered into the ID Tracker.)

No such conflicts have been brought to my attention.

   (1.g)  Has the Document Shepherd personally verified that the
          document satisfies all ID nits?  (See
          http://www.ietf.org/ID-Checklist.html and
          http://tools.ietf.org/tools/idnits/.)  Boilerplate checks are
not enough; this check needs to be thorough. Has the document
          met all formal review criteria it needs to, such as the MIB
          Doctor, media type, and URI type reviews?  If the document
          does not already indicate its intended status at the top of
          the first page, please indicate the intended status here.

yes. I note the iddnits report here. The "intended status" of the document is "informational, not "proposed standard" as the tool presumed, and the "unused reference" was in fact used but broken across a line ending. The normative reference to RFC 4779 is a spurious note given that both 4779 and this document are informative. The other checklist items were not issues with this document.

The RFC Editor will note that the authors speak English as a second language, which will necessitate a certain level of copy editing. I find the document quite readable even so, so this should not be onerous.

idnits 2.04.09
- The downloaded file seems to be corrupt, proceeding with outdated information.)

tmp/draft-ietf-v6ops-802-16-deployment-scenarios-04.txt:
- Failure fetching the file, proceeding without it.)

Checking boilerplate required by RFC 3978 and 3979, updated by RFC 4748: ---------------------------------------------------------------------- ------

     No issues found here.

Checking nits according to http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id- guidelines.txt: ---------------------------------------------------------------------- ------

== No 'Intended status' indicated for this document; assuming Proposed
     Standard

  Checking nits according to http://www.ietf.org/ID-Checklist.html:
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ------

     No issues found here.

  Miscellaneous warnings:
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ------

     No issues found here.

  Checking references for intended status: Proposed Standard
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ------

     (See RFC 3967 for information about using normative references to
     lower-maturity documents in RFCs)
== Unused Reference: 'I-D.ietf-mipshop-fmipv6-rfc4068bis' is defined on
     line 657, but no explicit reference was found in the
     text
'[I-D.ietf-mipshop-fmipv6-rfc4068bis] Koodli, R., "Fast Handovers for...'

  ** Downref: Normative reference to an Informational RFC: RFC 4779

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

   (1.h)  Has the document split its references into normative and
informative? Are there normative references to documents that
          are not ready for advancement or are otherwise in an unclear
          state?  If such normative references exist, what is the
strategy for their completion? Are there normative references
          that are downward references, as described in [RFC3967]?  If
          so, list these downward references to support the Area
          Director in the Last Call procedure for them [RFC3967].

Yes it has divided its references. The "normative" references are all to RFCs, and therefore have no publication issue.

   (1.i)  Has the Document Shepherd verified that the document's IANA
          Considerations section exists and is consistent with the body
          of the document?

The document creates no registries, and says as much in its IANA considerations section.

   (1.j)  Has the Document Shepherd verified that sections of the
          document that are written in a formal language, such as XML
          code, BNF rules, MIB definitions, etc., validate correctly in
          an automated checker?

There are no such sections.

   (1.k)  The IESG approval announcement includes a Document
          Announcement Write-Up.  Please provide such a Document
          Announcement Write-Up.  Recent examples can be found in the
          "Action" announcements for approved documents.  The approval
          announcement contains the following sections:

Technical Summary

This document provides a detailed description of IPv6 deployment and integration methods and scenarios in wireless broadband access networks in coexistence with deployed IPv4 services. It discusses the main components of IPv6 IEEE 802.16 access networks, their differences from IPv4 IEEE 802.16 networks, and how IPv6 is deployed and integrated in each of the IEEE 802.16 technologies.

Working Group Summary

The document was reviewed by participants from both the IPv6 Operations WG and the 16NG Working Group. No lingering concerns remained as it completed its review.

Document Quality

As described in the IPv6 Operations charter, this document's purpose was to review the issues that might arise in deploying IPv6 in an IEEE 802.16 network. The document uses "IEEE 802.16" as essentially equivalent to "Wimax", although one could argue that they differ. It builds on the structure and considerations of RFC 4779, which is a more general document looking at IPv6 deployment in broadband networks in general. It notes issues such as the fact that 802.16 QoS definitions differ from and have to be operationally mapped to IP Differentiated Services concepts, and specifically comments on the use of IPv6 Multicast, QoS, Security, and Network Management in IEEE 802.16 fixed and mobile access networks.

Personnel

The Document Shepherd is Fred Baker. The Responsible AD is Ron Bonica.