Re: I-D ACTION:draft-nward-v6ops-teredo-server-selection-00.txt

Le mercredi 4 juillet 2007, vous avez écrit :
> Anycast is good, but I think it's important that the clients are
> default configured with a vendor agnostic DNS name that points to the
> anycast address as well.

I have not seen any precedent of vendor-agnostic DNS name (apart from
example.TLD that is). Not only that, but who would maintain the DNS
zone that clients would run into when the ISP does not "hijack" the
name?

There are probably millions of Windows boxes using
teredo.ipv6.microsoft.com already. It is technically possible to change
this zone to point to an anycast prefix (should Microsoft be willing to
use it...), as has seemingly been done with 6to4.ipv6.microsoft.com.

> That means that the control is entirely with
> the SP, and there is no reliance on third party DNS names etc.

With anycast, the access provider has control, always. With DNS, it
assumes that the user is using the ISP recursive DNS servers (most
common, but not systematic).

> Also, if providers don't have the ability to anycast,

If they have no control over routing, I doubt they would or even should
have control over DNS still.

By the way, you may as well drop the SRV records idea. Some people would
complain that it allows Teredo to run not-on-port 3544, and becomes a
mess to block at the firewall. Not *me* though.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/