Re: CPE equipments and stateful filters

On 2007-07-23 21:36, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:
	on CPE equipments and stateful filters.

	first of all, here's my take on NAT and access controls at the border.
	(i've posted this URL to ietf@ietf couple of days ago)
	http://ipv6samurais.com/ipv6samurais/demystify/

	NAT or stateful filters w/ ALG are not future proven (cannot accomodate
	new protocols and people needs to upgrade forever).
	because of this reason NAT-PT document is deprecated in v6ops.
	now we are seeing the opposite action.  weird.

	i do not disagree with "we need stateful filter implementations".
	but i suggest that we need to be REAL careful about the default
settings.

I agree. But the market reality (and we heard it explicitly from a
well known CPE vendor at the microphone) is that they will not sell
$50 consumer gateways that allow incoming unsolicited SYN or UDP
by default. We need to make realistic recommendations in that context.

   Brian