Comments on addr-select-sol

	Hello,

Been reviewing the draft, and I am a bit puzzled as to why the
implementability and compatibility with RFC3493 falls in the "other issues"
category.

Most IPv6-enabled applications are currently relying on getaddrinfo then
connect/sendto APIs, or variants thereof. getaddrinfo() queries DNS or
whatever, and gives an ordered list of possible destination address, then
connect() or sendto() decide which source address to use to reach a given
destination. It might be worth noting that sendto() is non-blocking, so
essentially any exchange with the network has to be done in getaddrinfo().

Now, that still leaves a lot of room for doing lots of fancy and advanced
stuff in getaddrinfo(), along the DNS query. But I think it is worth looking
deeper at. I do think we should avoid deprecating RFC3493 unless there is
really a very very compelling reason to do so.

I am a bit suspicious as to whether the "trial-and-error" approach can
actually work with these considerations in mind.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont