RE: [BEHAVE] Re: CPE equipments and stateful filters

YES!  Definitions are very important here, or we'll wind up talking in circles.

> ... We have different definitions of 'solicited traffic' and
> 'unsolicited traffic'. ...

Interesting observations Dan.  The differences are around what prior knowledge is available.  I think it can be generalized and expanded.  (Whipping out my handy dictionary.)

> I call that incoming traffic [intentionally listened for]
> 'unsolicited', because the host (and its firewall) are unaware
> of when [or from where] a client will send a packet to establish

> a connection.

"Unsolicited" does seem to be a good term for this category.  Perhaps "Expected" would be a good characterization also.

> ... [some protocol] exchange allows the
> server to learn the client desires a new session.  With that
> knowledge, the server can communicate more specific information
> to its firewall about the client's IP address [and timing

> of the required pihole]; ...  This is what I would
> consider 'solicited traffic'.

Yup, "Solicited".  "Negotiated" or "Signalled" might also be appropriate terms.    Note also, the actual signalling, leading up to the Solicited traffic, may well have been some other category.

I would add:

"Unexpected / unwanted" -- traffic which was not explicitly indicated as ready to receive, either by listening at the server and (potentially) opening the corresponding pinhole in the firewall (either of Unsolicited or Solicited above), or by client initiation (next).   This is the "bad stuff" that should be dropped on the floor.

"(Client) Initiated" -- traffic that started from the "inside", by the client.

Just typing out loud...

-- Peter Blatherwick

"Dan Wing" <dwing@cisco.com>
Sent by: owner-v6ops@ops.ietf.org