Re: DHCP failures (was RE: Do you want to have more meetings outsi de US ?)

Hi,

think it's my first list and I dont bother to comment on everything, just voice my view on this.

I find this entire thread quite amusing in a way. It is so obvious for me that IPv6 need some sort of way to distribute other information than what RA does today. How it is dont don't really mather. DHCPv6 is one way, another probably smoother is to include an option in the RA packet to fetch more information from another source.

Probably todo both are the best path forward. However whatever is done the first thing to decide is what has the highest priority. RA or DHCPv6 information, what happen if there are more than one RA or one DHCPv6 server on the network?

I guess the current DHCP and RA handle the multiply option so whats left are to decide which one of them a client should give the highest priority. An easy way out are maybe to make it mandatory for everything to have RA for working, that means DHCPv6 has to provide RA information, and maybe RA also should have a flag that tell the client to listen to DHCP information instead... then everyone have their tool and everything will just work :)

... I guess you should also be able to on the client side to as a option somewhere well hidden to choice what you prefer, RA or DHCPv6...

But what bother me a bit is that RA are a deep down hidden thing in the Network stack, it just exist. Bbut DHCP is a client<>server thing, some layers further up in the network stack...