Re: 6to4 and 'campus' networks

Le dimanche 19 août 2007, vous avez écrit :
> Many university campus networks (and large businesses that have been
> around for some time, etc.) run non-RFC1918 addresses internally.
> They then NAT, proxy or statefully filter traffic through their
> border. If someone has a better name than "campus" for this, then
> then I'm all ears - I realise it's not accurate at all.

I have had cases were proto-41 was statelessly firewalled as well (no
NAT though). One was a "campus" network, but I have also met this
problem on some commercial Wi-Fi networks.

> My understanding of Windows (and to some extent some Linuxes and
> BSDs) 6to4 behaviour is that when they detect an interface with a
> non- RFC1918 IPv4 address, they bring up 6to4.

Yes.

And they also start sending router advertisements, regardless of
any "administered" IPv6 router on the network.

> While this is fine for networks that don't filter or otherwise mess
> with IP protocol 41, this causes big problems for users behind
> networks that filter or NAT.

Exactly.

(...)
> Has anyone given thought to a 6to4 'qualification' procedure for
> auto- configured 6to4? Such a procedure could be as simple as sending
> an ICMPv6 echo request to 2002:c058:6301:: (192.88.99.1) and bringing
> the interface up if there is an acceptable response.

I have considered this. It does not work. You will see that, ok,
proto-41 is not statelessly firewalled. But that is not sufficient
since 6to4 is relayed asymetrically between 6to4 nodes and the native
IPv6 Internet.

For proper detection, you would need to ping a native IPv6 node, which
you know will reply through an outbound 6to4 relay that encapsulates
packets with a source address different from 192.88.99.1. If that
works, there's good chance that there is no firewalling at all (or some
kind of "cone" firewalling).

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/