Re: Rethinking autoconfig, was Re: prefix length determination for DHCPv6

On 17-sep-2007, at 14:36, Mark Smith wrote:

So what's wrong with using conventional or existing methods to address
or avoid this problem, such as reducing the layer 2 network size,
therefore reducing the number of nodes that can generate multicasts, or
completely abandoning multicast/broadcast operation, by using NBMA
models?

Obviously making good layer 2 networks is always a good idea.

However, IPv6 really needs a multicast-capable network. In the absense of additional protocols, I wouldn't even know how to run the protocol without VERY extensive manual configuration over a non-broad (multi)cast lower layer network.

Redoing DHCP seems to me to be a lot of effort when I'd think adequate
and well known solutions to these sorts of problems already exist.

I certainly don't want to "redo" DHCP. The only thing that I suggest is an alternative method of _starting_ a DHCPv6 exchange.

Having a look at the IPv6 NBMA RFC (RFC2491), connectionless
NMBA technologies, such as SMDS, are accommodated. Based on that, I'd
be guessing that wireless ethernet wouldn't be too hard to operate in
an NBMA model if necessary.

Maybe some of the WIMAX folks could chime in? I understand that's NBMA.