Re: The IPv4 Internet MTU

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

There are basically two types of UDP protocols: the old / low volume ones such as the DNS, where a 512 / 576 limit is explicitly or implicitly understood,

And of course this assumption is no longer valid in the EDNS0 world where UDP packets can be as large as 6k.

Speaking of bad stateful firewalls, we've had enormous problems deploying EDNS0 in the wild due to firewalls that assume anything larger than 512 can't possibly be a DNS packet, so they drop them. And lest you think this is low end stuff, Cisco's PIX was one of the most common AND worst offenders till they finally created an update for it. Now all we have to do is go around to every single site that's having problems with larger packets and convince them to upgrade.

and so it goes,

Doug

--

	If you're never wrong, you're not trying hard enough