Re: The IPv4 Internet MTU

Hi,

Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch@muada.com> writes:

> On 14-okt-2007, at 14:33, Arnaud Ebalard wrote:
>
> You only have to let routers that send router advertisement include a
> smaller MTU, no need to adjust settings on hosts.

You misunderstood me. Obviously i do not need to adjust settings on my
hosts, i don't know where you read that in my previous emails. My point
was that given the number of subnets I have, this means a lot of
configuration on my routers.

BTW, please consider gigabit links carrying jumbo frames and compare the
*real* drawbacks of your "solution" with those of MSS clamping (note
again that I'm for E2E). In the end, you will probably come to the
conclusion that setting the MTU of the link to a suboptimal value just
for dealing with a problem in my ISP's network is a worst hack than MSS
clamping ...

a+