Re: Enhanced SIIT

On 18-okt-2007, at 17:48, todd@fries.net wrote:

Why do you have to insist the api is separate? It looks pretty uniformly
integrated to me.

Ok, should have been more clear: the issue is when you bind() to ANY do you get both incoming IPv4 and IPv6 requests or only one type?

If you insist that it seems odd to have a server bind to a different address
familiy as a separate socket, well, that's a different discussion.

Ok.

On the other hand, none of the big content sites uses IPv6, very few
end-user ISPs offer IPv6 and none of the common CPEs support IPv6. The same thing was true several years ago, but we are now making way more progress using up the remaining IPv4 space than adding IPv6 in these three areas.

And why is it a bad thing to let the IPv4 space pressure convince the end-user ISP's and CPE's from supporting IPv6? Not that it should be the only means
of coersion, mind you .. ;-)

It would be pretty bad if we run out of IPv4 space and STILL we're not ready to roll out IPv6 because IPv6 CPEs can't be had or software doesn't support IPv6.