Re: Follow-up work on NAT-PT

On 10 nov 2007, at 19:09, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

Softwires and usage of private IPv4 addresses, that was the reason we worked
on that !

I'm not yet convinced anything else is needed.

You say that in response to:

If we just want to reuse old technology, the overlay can be built with simple tunnels. Access routers routinely support protocols like PPPoA or PPPoE. PPP over IPv6 (PPPo6?) would not be much of a stretch. It would also not look to strange on the ISP side, since after all ISP are quite used to support PPP
servers.

This is an excellent approach if/when a host with only native IPv6 connectivity needs full, unrestricted IPv4 connectivity, and this connectivity, along with the IPv4 address that goes with it, can reasonably made available.

The trouble with this approach is that it still requires IPv4 address provisioning, while the interesting aspect of NAT is that the address of the host behind the NAT is of no interest to anyone. So the IPv4 provisioning step can easily be optimized away.