Re: I-D ACTION:draft-bagnulo-v6ops-6man-nat64-pb-statement-00.txt

On 2007-11-22 18:46, Christian Huitema wrote:
   In addition, as IPv4 public address space is
   depleted, it will no longer possible to access to IPv4 public
   addresses, making dual stack nodes even less attractive.
Well, if I was implementing a new service, I would work very hard to
get a public IPv4 address for it, so I don't think this argument
works for servers and services for many years to come. It clearly
will apply to client systems much sooner. So I'd rather see the
problem expressed as: New populations of clients (and p2p hosts)
that have no public IPv4 address, but do have plentiful public
IPv6 addresses, which need to contact legacy servers (and p2p hosts)
that have a public IPv4 address (possibly NATted) but no IPv6
capability.

What P2P hosts are we speaking of, exactly?

Ones that are behind an ISP that not only doesn't support IPv6,
but also has "security" in place that blocks IPv6 tunnels of
all kinds. In this case, a dual stack host has no IPv6 capability.

If that's a null set, I agree with you. But is it?

    Brian

As far as I know, there are very few PC-class hosts that cannot now run some form of IPv6, using a transition technology like Teredo or 6to4. P2P applications are thus very likely to use that.

I suggest that we limit the scope of the problem to enabling IPv6 only hosts to contact legacy IPv4 servers, assuming that these servers in fact have a global IPv4 address. Smaller problems are easier to solve...

-- Christian Huitema