Re: "DNS-4to6 automatic mapping" - No more DNS-ALGs & 6then4 DNS queries

On 29 nov 2007, at 13:19, Todd T. Fries wrote:

The bottom line is that OpenBSD userland unconditionally enables IPv6
regardless if the kernel supports it or not. If there is no v6 default route, v6 fails quickly and seamlessly back to v4 (telnet, ftp, ssh, etc)
and behaves sanely.

I do not see why mandating different is productive for a future of v6
deployment.

I for one am glad that my OS of choice is smart enough to avoid this unnecessary extra work. If your users don't mind this "you checked the box during installation so now I'm going to waste time for each DNS lookup even though a quick look at the routing table could avoid that" approach, I agree that the IETF should probably not force you to do things differently.