Re: v4 side unmodifiable

Yes, but software may decide not to use the source address selection policy
of the OS. For example, if I recall correctly, Opera uses IPv6 even with
Teredo to connect to IPv6 sites, while IE follows the policy table and
prefers to use IPv4 if only Teredo is available.

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Rémi Denis-Courmont <rdenis@simphalempin.com>
> Organización: Remlab.net
> Responder a: <owner-v6ops@ops.ietf.org>
> Fecha: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 20:06:29 +0200
> Para: "v6ops@ops.ietf.org" <v6ops@ops.ietf.org>
> Asunto: Re: v4 side unmodifiable
>
> Le Friday 07 December 2007 06:12:55 Brian Dickson, vous avez écrit :
>> If the provider adds AAAA records, it can trigger a bad user experience
>> from unintended sources (e.g. toredo hosts).
>
> I am fairly disturbed when even IETF IPv6 experts fail to recognize that this
> (a Teredo or 6to4 host trying to connect to a native dual-stack host) does
> not happen, and is hence not an issue. Why do you think Source Address
> selection was invented for?
>
> As it happens, I am not aware of any vendor with 6to4 and/or Teredo
> on-by-default *without* proper Source Address Selection policy. As such, if
> you do put a "native" AAAA record in addition to an existing A record, only
> native IPv6 host will (try to) use IPv6 to connect to you.
>
> Indeed, from my personal experience as a "I eat my dog food" guy, there are
> many more problems establishing native-native IPv6 connections, than when
> using automated transition mechanism. That is not to say that transition
> mechanisms are reliable (which they are not). But the fact is that there are
> still a awful lot of (native) IPv6 routing issues, and that's one thing
> Source Address Selection cannot and does not protect against.
>
> --
> Rémi Denis-Courmont

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !