Re: "Vonage Complaining Of VoIP 'Blocking'"

These providers should be careful. If they don't have permission to block
this in their contracts (some do, most don't), they may be in violation of
the ECPA which prohibits blocking communications without permission.

Some on this list may recall some controversy over ECPA application to
ISPs back in the late 1990s. Since then, a number of court cases have
supported the view that the ECPA applies to ISPs.

		--Dean

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Paul Vixie wrote:

> what a shocking, unexpected situation!  (not.)
>
>      UPDATED: FCC Chairman Powell says agency is "actively on this case."
>
>      By Paul Kapustka
>      Advanced IP Pipeline
>
>      BOULDER, Colo. -- Leading Voice over IP service provider Vonage
>      Holdings has complained to the Federal Communications Commission
>      that competitors are blocking the use of its service, according to
>      FCC chairman Michael Powell and others close to the company.
>
>      "We're very actively on this case and we are taking it pretty
>      seriously," said Powell, during an interview Monday here at the
>      Silicon Flatirons conference. In a speech at the conference Sunday,
>      Stanford law professor Larry Lessing said that Vonage has been
>      telling the FCC that other service providers are hampering Vonage's
>      VoIP service by "blocking" it from reaching certain SIP addresses
>      for end-user devices.

> see <http://advancedippipeline.com/60400413> for the rest.
>

> --

617 344 9000