Unread status is weird

Ok, sorry for the bad subject, but I've just started using Wanderlust
and I'm experiencing what I can only describe as puzzling behavior.

I'm using the beta on Debian to access my Gmail account. When I get a
new message, I see the Folder view like this:
    %inbox 0/1/2800
When I enter summary mode, I see:
     54028 N02/04(Thu)14:45 (etc)
So far so good.

I hit enter to select the message, scroll through it with the
spacebar, and when I'm done hit spacebar one more time to return to
the Folder view. At this point, the inbox line shows no more unread
messages.

However, if I hit 's' to check for new messages, the email somehow
shows up as unread again. That is, when I go into the Summary mode
again, I see:
       54028 u02/04(Thu)14:45 (etc)

It looks like, although I read the message, it gets marked as unread
again. Is this a common problem, or is it some weirdness with my
combination of Gmail + IMAP?

Thank you,

John Floren