Re: reproducable hang with non-ascii characters in Wanderlust draft

At Sat, 06 Feb 2010 13:47:56 +0200,
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been mentioning this bug before, but finally I have some easy steps to
> reproduce, plus a backtrace. I've seen this problem with the Ubuntu-packaged
> versions of wl-beta and emacs23, and now reproduced this with a recent bzr
> built of emacs and the wl packages as built from Dave Abrahams' git repo.
>
> The procedure to reproduce (in my case) are quite easy: type some non-ascii
> characters in a draft message in Wanderlust, something like
>
> äëïöÿüäëïöüÿäëïöüÿäëïöüÿäëïöüÿäëïöüÿäëïöüÿäëïöüÿäëïöüÿäëïöüÿäëïöüÿäëïöüÿäëïöü
>
> Try to save the draft (C-x s). This works. Now, copy the line about 50 times,
> so you have a whole block of these characters. If I now try to save, emacs
> gets very busy (CPU goes to the max), and it never seems to recover (waited
> for at least 15 minutes), and I have to kill emacs. See the attached backtrace
> - it was from an -O2 build, but I hope it contains enough info for those in
>   the know.
>
> Note, I get this this same behavior in perfectly normal e-mails with only a
> few of these non-ascii characters.
>
> Before, someone suggested using
>    (mel-use-module 'mel-q '("quoted-printable" "Q"))
> however, that gives me an error instead:
> 	 insert: Args out of range: "0123456789ABCDEF", 262140
> and refuses to save.
>
> I suspect something changed in Emacs 23 and Wanderlust (or flim, semi, apel)
> do not play nice with that.
>
> Any kind of solution would be much appreciated.

Stop using 7bit quoted-printable by adding the following line to your ~/.wl:

(setq-default mime-transfer-level 8)

Use an external qp encoder. I've added the following lines to my
~/.emacs:

(setq mel-b-ccl-module nil)
(setq mel-q-ccl-module nil)
(setq base64-external-encoder '("mimencode"))
(setq base64-external-decoder '("mimencode" "-u"))
(setq base64-external-decoder-option-to-specify-file '("-o"))
(setq quoted-printable-external-encoder '("mimencode" "-q"))
(setq quoted-printable-external-decoder '("mimencode" "-q" "-u"))
(setq quoted-printable-external-decoder-option-to-specify-file '("-o"))
(setq base64-internal-decoding-limit 0)
(setq base64-internal-encoding-limit 0)
(setq quoted-printable-internal-decoding-limit 0)
(setq quoted-printable-internal-encoding-limit 0)

But now I have problems with wl-summary-reply-with-citation.

-Herbert