IMAP client compared to Gnus

Hello,

I have been using gnus for reading email for some years and was very pleased with it when reading mail locally.
I've switched to IMAP and then figured that while gnus can handle imap or even better Maildir with using offlineimap, all the custom gnus flags where not compatible with IMAP and therefor gnus is good for reading IMAP mail only if you do read your mail with gnus.
The main reason I switched to IMAP is however to be able to read mail using other mail clients for example when I'm at the office or at home or travelling etc.

So here come my questions:
- first of all: is Wanderlust fully compatible with IMAP? I mean especially if it does _only_ use IMAP capabilities and flags and doesn't do tricky stuff as gnus does.
- second: is it fast ? I have approx 300 mailboxes. 100 mailboxes receive their mail by procmail. Can I tell WL to only check those 100 boxes for new mails ? Does it take some time to open a mailbox with 5000 mails ? Does WL use caching ?

Thanks for all your info !

--
erik