emacs 23 and wanderlust

Hi,
I'm using wanderlust (2.15.6 wl-beta in the ubuntu repos) with emacs 23 on ubuntu karmic and am having a problem with how the summary pane is displayed: apart from the 4-5 most recent messages, the remaining messages in the summary pane are spaced widely apart making it hard to read. The body of the messages is displayed fine. This does not occur when I use emacs 22 with the same settings. I was wondering if
I'm doing something wrong or if there is a fix to it.
Thanks