Re: Cannot open: elmo-network-initialize-session

At Fri, 08 Oct 2010 19:57:08 -0400,
David Abrahams wrote:
> At Fri, 08 Oct 2010 18:34:07 -0400,
> Ian D. Leroux wrote:
> > I'm no expert, but I think that means a subprocess outside emacs didn't
> > do what wl expected it to.  I seem to remember running into that error
> > when I
> > had some ssl trouble a few months back.  Is your friend trying to
> > connect over IMAPS?
>
> Yes
>
> > Using ssl or starttls?  gnutls or openssl s_client?
>
> I think we tried both openssl and gnutls.

Ok.  The way WL uses openssl is somewhat broken [1], in ways that can
be worked around by setting ssl-certificate-verification-policy to a
large value.  I haven't heard of any problems with gnutls, though I
haven't used it.  If you've tried both, then it's probably not a
problem with the ssl backend.  Can you open the connection to the
server using s_client or gnutls-cli directly on the command line (the
command that WL uses to open an ssl connection is assembled by the
code in ssl.el)?  Can you connect to the same server without ssl, just
to make sure I'm not barking up the wrong tree?

Ian

[1] openssl's s_client was meant as a debugging tool, not a backend
for other applications, and so the certificate verification semantics
are a bit unfortunate, see a three from the end of June entitled
"Auto-plugged off?"  I hope to do something about this at some point,
but probably not until after my thesis gets written.