Counfounding MIME

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can explain to me how to get MIME working more
smoothly in WL.  It almost never seems to do what I want, and I don't
know how to get back to the state where it does.  For example, right
now I'm looking at this:

------ schnipp ------
[1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]

Some text

[2 IMG_0125_2.jpeg <image/jpg (base64)>]

[3  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]

[4 IMG_0126_2.jpeg <image/jpg (base64)>]

[5  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]

[6 IMG_0129_2.jpeg <image/jpg (base64)>]

[7  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
------ schnapp ------

I know I was seeing inline images in messages a few days ago; now I
can't get these to display.  When I try to "view" them (`v'), it just
asks me if I want to save them to a file.  My .mailcap contains:

  */*; /usr/bin/open %s
  text/html; sh -c "mv %s %s.html && /usr/bin/open %s.html"

which theoretically should cause them to be opened with the default
program for their file type on my Mac (right?), but that isn't having
any effect.

Another problem is that WL is constantly asking me what encoding I
want to use for attachments that I'm sending, and I don't know what
the best answers are.  Gnus never used to bother me with questions
about encoding.

In all, I'm left with the impression that WL supplies lots of powerful
low-level tools for handling MIME, but doesn't assemble them, by
default, into a reasonably-usable whole.  I would be happy to propose
some default configuration if I knew how to make any of this stuff
work more intuitively, but I don't.

Please help?

Thanks,

--