Re: backquote errors with emacs24

At Wed, 10 Nov 2010 19:13:11 -0500,
Matt Price wrote:
> Auto plugged off at mailbox126.utcc.utoronto.ca:993
> byte-code: Invalid function: (\` (start-process name buffer
> ssl-program-name ((\,@ ssl-program-arguments))))
>
> I figured (blindly) that this was a backquote issue but changing the `
> to "quote" nets me this instead:
>
> byte-code: Symbol's function definition is void: \,@
> Mark set
>
> I'm sure this is blindingly obvious to most people on the list - -can
> you tell me how to fix it? thanks,

The function in question in cvs HEAD:

(defun open-ssl-stream (name buffer host service)
  "Open a SSL connection for a service to a host.
Returns a subprocess-object to represent the connection.
Input and output work as for subprocesses; `delete-process' closes it.
Args are NAME BUFFER HOST SERVICE.
NAME is name for process.  It is modified if necessary to make it unique.
BUFFER is the buffer (or buffer-name) to associate with the process.
 Process output goes at end of that buffer, unless you specify
 an output stream or filter function to handle the output.
 BUFFER may be also nil, meaning that this process is not associated
 with any buffer
Third arg is name of the host to connect to, or its IP address.
Fourth arg SERVICE is name of the service desired, or an integer
specifying a port number to connect to."
  (if (integerp service) (setq service (int-to-string service)))
  (let* ((process-connection-type nil)
         (port service)
         (proc (eval
                `(start-process name buffer ssl-program-name
                                ,@ssl-program-arguments))))
    (process-kill-without-query proc)
    proc))

The backtick ` does not mean the same as (quote -- Quoting a list or
symbol disables the evaluation of the list or symbol by the Lisp
interpreter.  The backtick allows you to mark exceptions for this
rule: A single , causes the interpreter to evaluate the following list
or symbol inside the back-quoted list and ,@ inserts data of the
following symbol in the list.

Best,
  -- David