The dreaded gmail draft question

I've seen many answers online but unsure which is the definitive one. (I'll be happy to help clarify in the docs later.)

Now I'm using the workaround here, of defining a local folder for drafts.

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.mail.wanderlust.general.japanese/7701

(setq elmo-maildir-folder-path "~/mail/")
(setq wl-draft-folder ".drafts")

I no longer get empty messages in my gmail account. But, I can't save a draft and come back to it later. .drafts is not available in the Folder list.

I'm confused what to do with elmo-maildir-folder-path - make it "~/Maildir"?

Thanks.
James